- Non-resident Students –Students who do not reside within the city limits of the City of Tuscumbia may apply for enrollment in the Tuscumbia City Schools. There is no tuition charge.
All out-of-district applicants who are permitted to attend Tuscumbia City Schools shall complete school registration forms. Applications for out-of-district enrollment shall be considered on a "first-come, first-served" basis. In situations in which space is limited, priority will be given to a student who:
- Was enrolled in a school in Tuscumbia City Schools the previous year;
- Has a sibling enrolled at the requested school;
- Has a parent or legal guardian employed by Tuscumbia City Schools.
Factors which may cause an out-of-district enrollment to be denied include:
- A school, grade or program(s) has a lack of available space, staff or support services, taking in-district enrollment projections into consideration;
- The school requested does not offer appropriate programs, is not structured or equipped with the necessary facilities to meet the needs of the student, or does not offer a particular program requested;
- The student does not meet the established eligibility criteria for participation in a particular program including age requirements, course prerequisites, and required levels of academic performance;
- The student has been suspended or expelled from school, or is in the process of being expelled;
- The student has withdrawn from a school to avoid possible suspension of expulsion;
- The student has a history of documented disciplinary infractions within the past three (3) years;
- The student has been adjudicated or convicted of a crime;
- The student has a record of excessive absences or truancy from school; or
- Information on the enrollment application was misrepresented or incomplete.
The out-of-district approval process is as follows:
- The parent or guardian must submit a completed application and provide any and all supplemental information requested by the District.
- The receiving school principal and/or Special Education Director makes a recommendation to approve or not approve the enrollment application.
- The recommendation is sent to the Superintendent.
- The Superintendent approves or denies the request.
An approved application shall be valid for one year only. All non-residents must apply each year.
The Tuscumbia City School District reserves the right to revoke the enrollment status of an out-of-district student at any time because of unacceptable behavior or because of false, misleading or incomplete information on the enrollment application. In the event of a revocation, the Superintendent or designee shall inform the parent/guardian of the circumstances which resulted in the revocation decision. There is no appeal process; the decision of the Superintendent is final.