Students began classes at Southside Elementary School in January of 1967. From 1967 to 1970 our school served African American students in grades one through six. Integration was initiated in the fall of 1970 and Southside began serving all students in the eastern school zone. The school reorganized grade levels and began serving only grades one and two. In 1972, third grade was added and was followed by an addition of a kindergarten department in 1977.
A new wing of nine classrooms was opened in January of 1982. This addition made it possible to move 4th grade from Northside to Southside in 1983. The Tuscumbia City School System was restructured again in September of 1985 when Southside began serving grades K-3.
Our first computer lab made its debut in 1985-86 with the purchase of ten Apple computers. The PTO (now known as PVO - Parent Volunteer Organization) was instrumental in the set-up of this computer lab.
The third grade was moved to RE Thompson Intermediate School in 1997-98. On February 4, 2004, Southside Elementary School was renamed to honor Professor GW Trenholm, an influential educator and principal of Trenholm High School from 1896-1916. During Professor Trenholm's term, he supervised three teacher employees.
GW Trenholm still houses grades kindergarten through second grade and now serves a preschool. At present day, the kindergarten wing contains six kindergarten classes and three pre-k classes. GW Trenholm also has six first grade and six second grade classes. Each classroom is equipped with a smartboard, document camera, projector, a desktop computer and several Chromebooks and iPads. Each grade level also has a Chromebook cart. There are 21 classroom teachers, a counselor, librarian, instructional coach, interventionist, two resource teachers, one PE teacher, seven paraprofessionals, lunch room staff, two custodians, and a school nurse.